We consistently try to reinforce the idea of preventive dentistry with our patients because it is the best way to maintain a healthy smile. Rather than allowing problems to occur, which will require costly and time-consuming restorative care, prevention allows us to help you avoid problems from ever developing. While scheduling six-month visits for dental cleanings and checkups is absolutely necessary, those are not the only tasks you need to consider when it comes to healthy habits. Home dental hygiene is just as significant. Fortunately, as long as you are visiting us consistently, flossing once daily, and adhering to the following guidelines for good brushing, you are succeeding in practicing excellent preventive care:
Brushing Guidelines for a Healthy Smile
- Choose a soft-bristle toothbrush to clean your teeth without potentially damaging them. Avoid brushes marked with “medium” or “hard” bristles.
- Replace your toothbrush once every three months or so, since they tend to harbor germs. If your toothbrush begins to look like it has seen better days before the three months has elapsed, go ahead and replace it.
- Brush every surface of your teeth. This means brushing the fronts, backs, and chewing surfaces. Hold your toothbrush horizontally for most of your brushing session. To clean the backs of your top and bottom front teeth, you may turn the brush vertically for effective cleaning.
- Brush your teeth for at least two minutes. Brushing for two to four minutes means you are giving yourself enough time to remove plaque and debris.
- Don’t forget your gumline. Hold your toothbrush horizontally, parallel with the floor. Angle the brush 45 degree toward your gumline. Brush your teeth and gums effectively by rolling the brush away from your gums, so you may remove plaque and food particles.
ABOUT YOUR FUQUAY VARINA DENTIST:
For over 15 years, Dr. Michele Collier and the talented professionals at Waterstone Family Dentistry have provided comfortable, compassionate dental care to patients of all ages from Fuquay Varina, NC, as well as Holly Springs, Angier, Willow Springs, Raleigh, and all surrounding communities. If you’d like to learn more, you can schedule a consultation with Dr. Collier by calling (919) 557-5250 today.