A Child Friendly Office for your Family
Looking for a child friendly dentist may feel challenging. After all, as a parent you have a lot of questions. You may ask yourself whether it is too soon to begin dental care. Or, you may wonder whether your child is emotionally ready for a cleaning and checkup. At Waterstone Family Dentistry, the comfort of your child is paramount. Dr. Collier and our team go above and beyond to ensure you and your family feels at ease. Please call us to schedule your little one’s first appointment, so we can answer your questions and set up a time that works best with your calendar.
Your Child’s First Visit
Dr. Collier follows the pediatric dentist guidelines from the American Dental Association (ADA) for first visits, suggesting you bring your child in by the age of one. The sooner you introduce your child to good dental habits through home care and trips to the dentist, the greater your chances for guiding your little one toward optimal oral health that lasts a lifetime.
Rest assured, our child friendly dentist and team will work carefully and thoughtfully with your child. We will first introduce your son or daughter to our equipment and systems, so he or she feels comfortable in these new surroundings. Our team uses positive, non-threatening words to describe each portion of the visit. We refer to this as our, “Tell, Show, Do Technique,” which creates a sense of comfort and security with your child. Your child’s first visit will also include the following:
- An assessment of your child’s tooth eruption, so Dr. Collier can monitor appropriate development according to age
- Tips to encourage fun, excellent brushing habits
- A discussion about nutrition and its effects on oral health
Children’s Dental Services
Dr. Collier provides comprehensive children’s dental services to guide your child toward excellent oral health, while working to prevent accidents and common dental health issues. Look over the following services geared toward protecting the health and beauty of your little one’s smile:
- Fluoride Treatments: A naturally occurring mineral, fluoride both strengthens teeth and can re-mineralize areas mildly softened by plaque. Providing your child with this preventive treatment may assist in cavity prevention.
- Dental Sealants: Dr. Collier may suggest applying sealants to your child’s teeth as an excellent preventive dentistry option. We will paint this super-thin plastic covering over your child’s hard-to-reach teeth. Invisible to the naked eye, the sealant hardens and offers plaque protection.
- Sportsguards: If your child participates in sports, a sportsguard protects teeth and gums against injury from strong physical contact. Sportsguards are soft, comfortable, plastic accessories that your child can easily place and remove from his or her mouth.
- Habit Evaluation and Appliance Therapy: Dr. Collier may suggest choosing a habit appliance, a fixed device that will help deter your child from habits, such as thumb sucking. She will first examine your child to determine whether appliance therapy may provide a solution. The prevention of thumb sucking can significantly improve the future alignment of your child’s teeth.
- Nitrous Oxide: More commonly referred to laughing gas, this sedation option can safely help relax your child if he or she feels anxious about a visit or procedure. For our young patients, we offer a bubblegum scented nose mask for a more enjoyable experience.
To ensure your child has a truly enjoyable time, we offer the following kid-friendly amenities:
- Cartoons on overhead TVs
- iPads and books in the waiting area
- A treasure chest for an exciting, rewarding finish to the visit